[linux-cifs-client] Re: Unable to mount using sec=none and mount.cifs

Ganael LAPLANCHE ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
Fri Mar 7 13:30:21 GMT 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:10:20 -0500, Christopher DeMarco wrote

> > You also have to remove sec=none which will try to bind you
> > as guest (null user).
>
> Indeed it does.  But removing the option changes nothing -- same
> error.
>
> FWIW, when I authenticate "incorrectly" -- bad password -- I see log
> messages on the filer.  The old smbfs module, when mounting *without*
> sec=none, also spawns a log message on the filer, but the
> configuration I'm using now *doesn't generate log messages on the
> filer*.

Same thing here, nothing appears on the filer. Are you also working on a filer
from Netapp ?

Here are connection captures taken with Wireshark on the client machine (Kubuntu
, 2.6.22-14-generic, cifs module v1.50 manually recompiled with
CONFIG_CIFS_WEAK_PW_HASH option) trying to connect to a Netapp filer running
v7.1 (same error on 7.2) :

1) Using SMBFS, OK :

Command : smbmount //157.99.64.123/Sis /mnt/tmp -o
username=martymac,netbiosname=CIFSCLT,workgroup=WORKGROUP

Capture, see :
http://contribs.martymac.com/misc/net-captures/mount.smbfs-20080307.pcap

2) Using CIFS, error :

Command : mount.cifs //157.99.64.123/Sis /mnt/tmp -o
user=martymac,netbiosname=CIFSCLT,domain=WORKGROUP

Capture, see :
http://contribs.martymac.com/misc/net-captures/mount.cifs-20080307.pcap

For 2), I use 0x37 as SecurityFlags. Netapp requires clear-text passwords as it
authenticates users in a standalone mode, against our LDAP server.

Clear-text password seems to be negociated (as seen in the 'Negociate Protocol
Response' part), but connection ends with a 'Server Error' (and a 'Non-specific
error code').

Any help would be apreciated (should I send a bug report ?) ; I can provide more
detailed information if necessary...

Best regards,

Ganaël LAPLANCHE
ganael.laplanche at martymac.com