[linux-cifs-client] patch to modify how ACEs are set for a chmod command

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jan 31 19:27:43 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 22:21 -0600, Shirish Pargaonkar wrote:

> BTW, in Windows, how do I view the Group of an object such as a file
> object?
> I can view current Owner of this file object but not sure how to view
> the Group.
> I resorted to wireshark trace and psgetsid utility/command to find out
> Group SID and figure out Group name respectively.

There is no way, because windows has no concept of "group of a file",
this is an old legacy unix/posix concept (what a mistake ...).

In windows you just have the owner and then anything else.

The owner can be any SID in theory, even a group, or even Everyone.

The ACLs in Windows do not require to list owner/group/other, it may be
just one entry, the owner, or any number including
users,groups,machines,other special SIDs.

This is a fundamental difference between the Identity model of Windows
and the Identity model we have in Linux. And unfortunately, while
Windows can "emulate" our identity model for Posix compatibility we
can't "emulate" easily the Windows model, esp when you have an Owner
that is not a user or you miss a group entry in the ACL.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>