[linux-cifs-client] Re: linux-cifs workflow and git trees (was: cp -p localfile to a winnt, w2k0, winxp server - and legacy servers)

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 18:40:56 GMT 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:55:11 -0500
"Steve French" <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> git-format-patch with no options is fine with me (but not all patch
> submitters are using git - I am not sure what is easiest for them),
> This form saves time since it eliminates the steps of having to set
> and then reset environment variables and avoids having to cut/paste
> the commit description (and it also puts a more realistic changeset
> date) - and by attaching the patch as an attachment to email it makes
> it easier when I read gmail via the web (since the browser/gmail
> modifying tabs/whitespace in the web email affects inline patches)

Actually...since you like them as attachments, I've started using:

$ git format-patch --attach ...

...that generates the patches as attachments in an email and then I can
send them using my preferred mailer for this sort of thing (git
send-email).

<gripe>
The fact that we have to use attachments here is unfortunate though.
The "gold standard" for sending patches to LKML is to inline them since
that makes it easier to quote and comment on the patches in a reply.
Sending as an attachment means that we have to send the mail twice if
we want it reviewed by a wider audience, and that makes it difficult
to keep all the replies in a single thread...
</gripe>