[linux-cifs-client] DFS-CIFS patch?

Rich Browne rbrowne at vericept.com
Thu Mar 29 04:30:38 GMT 2007

Hi.

I too am inquiring about DFS support in CIFS.  I moved up the 2.6.20
kernel (compiled with EXPERIMENTAL options and debugging routines) and
couldn't mount the DFS referral point.  I have the latest version of
smbclient (v. 3.0.24) and I can navigate DFS without any problems, but
I'm really looking to get the mount support in the kernel.  I'm still
getting the remote object error...

e.g.

mount -t cifs -o
credentials=/root/.credfile //MyDomain/TestDFS /root/test
mount error 66 = Object is remote

I can mount the underlying shares without any problem too

Reading the archives, I discovered a patch for the 2.6.19.1 kernel
delivered by Q, thanks.  I applied this patch to the cifs source in this
kernel and tried the same mount command, but the mount failed with the
same error.

Is there a more recent version of this patch?  I'm a willing guinea
pig : )  Otherwise, is there a way to query the DFS point to get the
underlying shares (like with showconnect)?  I would like to write a
script that would make use of smbclient to emulate mounting a DFS
referral point.

Thanks in advance,

Rich (cifs newbie)