[linux-cifs-client] (no subject)

Ronald Cortbauwi RonaldC at ever-me.com
Thu Oct 5 06:50:26 GMT 2006

> Currently I'm writing DFS support in cifs kernel module
> At current state I can work read/write/list files in DFS shares and so
on.
> Only two big things hasn't been done:

2. not enough knowledge to do propper cleanup when cleaning nested
trees, module crashes on 'rmmod cifs'

So, Does anybody know a way to accomplish 1 problem or any proposal how

I had finished part of the code necessary for DFS a few years ago (and
they are in mainline) as you have probably noticed.

CIFS code can recognize DFS referral, get the referral list - and for
referrals with server as ip address could probably work today with small

changes. ip address based referrals are ok, although not common.

> 1. resolving server names to ip in kernel space
I think the easiest approach for kernels 2.6.12 or later will be to
define a key type (keyed on hostname) for the upcall and use the
key management api to return the ip address (see Documentation/keys.txt
etc and Dave Howells web page at RedHat). Most other
upcall possibilities (captive ioctl, cn.ko, or worse netlink, or
pseudo-fs require a long running daemon which is
probably not ideal, and also have some problems with reliability). This
should probably not be a cifs specific key type
but cifs would be the first user of it.

>2. not enough knowledge to do propper cleanup when cleaning nested
> trees, module crashes on 'rmmod cifs'
There may be a way to do this with explicit mounts from a daemon in
userspace (I hope we can avoid this) but surely this
is something the automounter deals with. Again the key request api (with
a null, noncached key - passing as description
the mount parms you want to issue?) might work. An alternative if mount
in kernel could be to attached a list of the
"sub-mounts" (implicit dfs mounts) off the CIFS_SB (cifs specific
portion of the superblock).

Ronald Cortbawi
IT Developer
EVER ME

* Office: +961-1-513531

6 Fax: +961-1-513534

* <mailto:salame at ever-me.com>  Email: Ronaldc at ever-me.com

Web Site: www.ever-me.com <http://www.ever-me.com/>

"This e-mail message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally
privileged information. It should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. If you have erroneously received this
message, please delete it immediately and notify the sender. The
recipient acknowledges that EVER ME or its subsidiaries and associated
companies, are unable to exercise control or ensure or guarantee the
integrity of/over the contents of the information contained in e-mail
transmissions and further acknowledges that any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the
message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly
with due authority of EVER ME before opening any attachments please
check them for viruses and defects."