[linux-cifs-client] chmod 01777 has different SETFILEBITS EA from chmod 01444

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 16 21:48:05 GMT 2005

Thinking about SETFILEBITS more and Martin's excellent analysis
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2005-June/000865.html)

I noticed that
      chmod 01777 sets SETFILEBITS EA to 0e
while
      chmod 01444 sets SETFILEBITS EA to 02

presumably because the latter is undefined (+T) while the latter is defined
(+t)

Any ideas whether there are other combinations to examine (e.g. what would
it mean if SETFILEBITS were set to 1)?

I was trying to finish this up in the code.   I wish it were easier to
recognize these are there - it is pretty expensive to do that many calls to
get xattrs (EAs) for each file (even if only happening when sfu mount
option is turned on).

Someone (probably Martin) also made the point that we need to optionally
allow the sfu mount option to work even when Unix extensions are turned on
for that mount so Windows clients could see those files.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com