[linux-cifs-client] Problems with bitkeeper source

James Roper u3205097 at alumni.anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 8 11:47:58 GMT 2005

I'm not very familiar with bitkeeper.  I cloned the linux-2.5cifs
repositry 2 days ago, I've since merged a 6 month old patch onto it that
I made, I then committed it, found some problems, fixed them, and tried
to commit again.  The problem is, I keep getting an error saying max
pending logs exceeded, commit aborted.  I want to make some
improvements, but before I do so, I want to pull the changesets down
that have been made in the past few days.  Any ideas?

Anyway, I'm wondering what people thought about how to improve
asynchronous read routines.  The two bottle necks at the moment are the
fact that no more than 32 pages are ever requested at once, and the
maximum cifs buffer size.  The cifs buffer size actually isn't too much
of a problem, it means we have to do a bit more processing to prepare
the requests to be received, and incurs more overhead on the network as
there are more smb headers being transmitted per KB requested.  But the
maximum readahead pages could seriously impede high latency to bandwidth
ratio networks, because it means we can only read 128KB per round trip
cycle.  So on a gigabit network, with a round trip time of 50
milliseconds (there's a few router hops on the corporate intranet to the
file server), we could only get a maximum theoretical download speed of
2.2 MB/s, even though a gigabit network should be able to download at
speeds closer to 100MB/s.  I think the best way forward is to experiment
with increasing that readahead limit to, say 128 pages, ie 512KB.  Even
better might be a proc entry to control it, that way different people
can test it on different systems.  I could try and increase the cifs
buffer size but maybe it's an idea to wait for the write behind
increased buffer size to mature, then use that code or similar code.
Any ideas?

James

--
James Roper
u3205097 at alumni.anu.edu.au
Phone: +61 2 9524 3380      Mobile: +61 438 406 331