[linux-cifs-client] windows xp and permissions for cifs mounting

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Mar 26 16:28:03 GMT 2004

List,
I wanted to post this information here since I posted several queries
and had a discussion with Steve here, that was never resolved.

My problem was inability to write to winxp shares mounted under cifs.

I'm not particularly well versed in winxp  or any win* use, and
didn't know about a major change in MS setup from win 2000 to winxp
concerning file sharing.

Winxp uses by default something called `simple file sharing' that
doesn't work well with cifs.  On win-xp pro this can be disabled and
a more comprehensive sharing dialog will come up.

Once I enabled the full sharing dialog and set it for full control, I
was able to write to cifs mounted shares.  I'm not sure if there is a
fix for `winxp home edition' users.

Read all about it here:

  http://lowendpc.com/box/2002/0916.html