[linux-cifs-client] Re: problems with cifs

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 9 21:09:42 GMT 2004

Strange ... the debug log that you sent shows no - zero - pending
requests, but the session disconnected.

What I would do at this point is confirm (with the tool netstat e.g.) that
the tcp session to port 445 or 139 is in state connected (established?, I
forget the exact name that it is displayed as in netstat) - and that run a
quick network trace (also turn on /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI to 1), then do a
single cd command, stop the trace, turn off cifsFYI,   then kill the cd
command then send the hopefullly small dmesg (ie of just the single cd
command which is hanging trying to reestablish a session presumably) and
send the small network trace.

FYI - Also find the problem with cifs_dir_notify - the fcntl for change
notify was incorrectly changed from its default of off by another kernel
change (outside cifs) - so cifs_dir_notify has some problems which I am
fixing but it should be off by default - so the references to
cifs_dir_notify in fs/cifs/cifsfs.c (in the file ops) should be removed
which I am doing (actually putting within the config_cifs_experimental or
making enabling it a mount option).   Also noticed that Samba 3 and 4 seem
to have incorrect flags in their header for the notify "filter" (although
ok for the events themselves)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com