[linux-cifs-client] cifs mounted home directory problems

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 6 21:43:27 GMT 2004

> Should chmod work in a normal way over cifs? If I chmod 755 a file,
> it only gives 700 permissions.

You do have the mask on the server set via smb.conf to 0700 (0600 for
create) - seems plausible that you would end up with 0700 on the server
after chmod from the cifs client.

The other issues mentioned with qt need to be analyzed more.  I have not
done much API analysis of what KDE and Gnome apps do - my guess is that
the Linux specific (one of three Linux specific ones and the ony one that
can hit network filesystems) fcntl(F_NOTIFY) is a likely culprit (I don't
have a good Linux fcntl notify test case to prove it).

> fcntl(2) locking appears not to work on this filesystem
getlock and setlock should work but, not sure what the "2" after the
"fcntl" would represent - F_SETFD would be op 2 right ...? and that should
not hit network filesystems.  Perhaps it is a reference to man page
category 2 where fcntl is defined.  In any case there are only four or
five fcntls that can be sent to a network filesystem with current linux
design and am not sure which one is the problem here.  If we could narrow
it down more we could turn on debugging (echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI)
and dump dmesg and make a better guess as to whether it really is hitting
the byte rang locking code (there is a bug introduced by another non-cifs
kernel change a few months that I have hit at the end of connecathon lock
test 7 so there may be a problem in there)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com