[linux-cifs-client] Re: CaseInsensitivePassword

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Wed Dec 1 16:35:37 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:13:49AM -0600, Steven French wrote:
> I believe it is a bug in smbd (smbd should not require the lanman hash
> field to be filled in), but I think we can cut Samba some slack if it
> simply is matching a Windows design "bug" (I don't know a case in which
> Windows cares about a bogus value being filled in that field, but perhaps
> Andrew Bartlett knows).

I agree, I would feel uneasy knowing this scenario would fail silently,
without even a warning.

Here's what I just found at page 288 of Implementing CIFS:

Level 2 - NTLM Authentication - The LM Response is not sent by the
client. Instead, the NTLM Response is sent in both password fields.
[...]

Why, it doesn't say.

> It is quite possible I did the diff backwards for connect.c.diff

Yup, -R worked and it's now rebuilding the kernel RPM.

--
Rudi