[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException: Incorrect function

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 05:40:13 GMT 2008

On 6/6/08, harald.preczek at bundesbank.de <harald.preczek at bundesbank.de> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  we have an application running on IBM Websphere 5.1/6.1 (hosted on Sun
>  Solaris 10) using jcifs to access a fileshare on a netapp-filer via smb and
>  write files into a windows filesystem.
>
>  Since the filer was updated to Ontap 7.2.3 we receive "
>  jcifs.smb.SmbException: Incorrect function".
>
>  This looks like a problem that should be fixed with jcifs-1.2.15. We tried
>  every jcifs-version since then, but it still won't work.
>
>  It also didn't change when we moved from Websphere 5.1 to 6.1.
>
>  On an older filer with Ontap 7.0.6 it still works.
>
>  Netapp refuses to solve the problem since they think their software works
>  correctly.

Yeah, NetApp only does what it needs to do to satisfy Windows clients.
So even though protocolwise JCIFS is completely correct, if we don't
emulate Windows exactly, NetApp will very likely complain.

I managed to actually contact someone from NetApp and asked to get
access to their emulator for Linux. They said they never heard of
JCIFS and asked me to name some companies that used it. But after
providing a list I never received a reply.

>  I found this link on the web desribing the same problem with jcifs-1.2.17
>  and forwarded it to the netapp support, but i'm not very hopeful.
>
>  http://www.nabble.com/SmbFileOutputStream-with-append%3Dtrue-misbehaving-on-a-certain-NAS-td14944774.html

I still have those captures but I have no time for flying blind trial
and error BS. If someone comes up with a fix and verifies that it
works with NetApp that would help. Or if you can get me the NetApp
simulator for Linux that would work too.

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO