[jcifs] Load balancing required for preauthentication?

Andrew Miller pulazzo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 23:06:29 GMT 2005

I'm updating to 1.2.6 from a very old release and have been having signing
problems. I determined it to be signing because turning off the signing
requirement in 2003 Server allowed for successful authentication.

While stepping through the code in the debugger, I noticed that
SmbSession.getChallenge(UniAddress) does not attempt to use the DEFAULT
credentials for preauthentication. I switched to calling
SmbSession.getChallengeForDomain() and it seems to work fine.

To fix my code, I think I am going to make a local change to add a method
like SmbSession.getChallenge(UniAddress) that calls SmbSesesion.interrogate
(UniAddress).challenge;

Does this sound appropriate?

Is there a reason this is not currently done this way?

For a little background, this is for a Java web server that is using code
similar to the NtlmHttpFilter. I'm currently developing on Mac OS X
10.4.3with Java
1.5 talking to a Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition running in VMWare
on a Window XP Professional laptop. I'm testing with Firefox from my Mac
though I occassionally click around on IE in a Windows 2000 VM to make sure
that it works too.

We typically want to enable load balancing but would like to make it a
configurable option.

Thanks, Andy