[jcifs] Re: Custom HttpServletRequest [patch]

Marcin Cieslak saper at sgh.waw.pl
Mon Feb 28 10:24:05 GMT 2005

Michael B Allen wrote:
> Marcin Cieslak said:
>
>>With this patch it is easy to provide your own filter using all the
>>power of the JCIFS's filter. See example custom filter:

> Why not just add another filter in the chain and create a custom
> HttpServletRequest class to encapsulate the one provided
> (NtlmHttpServletRequest in this case)?

Well, that's of course possible. It is up to the application architect
whether you want to provide your own ServletRequest at the deployment
level or coupling your own classes with the jcifs.

Personally I prefer to provide my own request class because I can use
the power of object-oriented approach. Probably it requires much less
overhead on the container side and I find it quite elegant - if it would
be included in the core code itself it just opens another way to extend
JCIFS.

I can imagine that JCIFS itself could in future provide some different
ServletRequest classes to providing mapping of servlet roles to Active
Directory groups.

--marcin