[jcifs] readPacketType() / IO exception

Wiedenhoeft, Andre andre.wiedenhoeft at hp.com
Tue Feb 22 17:17:32 GMT 2005

Hi Michael,

We have a questions regarding readPacketType() from SessionServicePacket.java.

A customer of us gets under heavy usage of jCIFS on HP-UX as a
jCIFS-client (server is Windows) sometimes the IO exception thrown
by the readPacketType() method. First the customer claimed this to be
an OS error. After adding some additional debug code we found that the
in.read call sometimes returns less then HEADER_LENGTH (4 Bytes). The
recv/read system call specifications indicates that this is not an
error. We think this code should retry to get the missing bytes,
instead of throwing an exception. Can you please comment on this?

Thanks in advance for your reply

André Wiedenhoeft

          Andre Wiedenhoeft     Hewlett-Packard GmbH,
                                HP SAP International Competence Center
        SAP Technology Team
  HP TSG Solution Alliances     Altrottstrasse 31
                                69190 Walldorf
                                Germany

                                e-mail: andre_wiedenhoeft at hp.com

Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Herrenberger Str. 140, 71034 Böblingen

Geschäftsführer: Hans Ulrich Holdenried (Vorsitzender),
Wolfram Fischer, Heiko Meyer, Ernst Reichart, Matthias Schmidt,
Regine Stachelhaus, Stephan Wippermann
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heribert Schmitz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Böblingen HRB 4081