[jcifs] The handle is invalid

Manfred Meyer manfred.meyer at outline.ch
Wed Feb 16 13:52:13 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to use JCIFS in a J2EE environment to implement a virtual file
system. It should provide a possibility to my EJBs and Servlets to load and
store files in a Samba server. Most of the time this works fine but
occasionally writing to the server fails with a SmbException
"The handle is invalid".
Can anyone give me a hint to find out what the problem is? I used different
versions of JCIFS inclusive the latest version 1.1.8. The Operating System is
SuSE Linux 9.2 with Samba 3.0.9.

Thanks!

Here are parts of the exception:

com.outline.outputcenter.bo.fileserver.FileServerException: Error while writing
	file to FileServer
        at com.outline.outputcenter.interfaces.jobreceiver.JobReceiverService.
					doPost(JobReceiverService.java:123)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.
					internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.
	run(ThreadPool.java:677)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: jcifs.smb.SmbException: The handle is invalid.
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:698)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:259)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:103)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:725)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.close(SmbFile.java:896)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.close(SmbFile.java:902)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.close(SmbFile.java:906)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileOutputStream.close(SmbFileOutputStream.java:162)
        at com.outline.outputcenter.interfaces.jobreceiver.JobReceiverService.
					saveAttachments(JobReceiverService.java:327)
        at com.outline.outputcenter.interfaces.jobreceiver.JobReceiverService.
        	doPost(JobReceiverService.java:121)
        ... 41 more