[jcifs] Problem with Authentication !!!!

Krishna Chaitanya chaitanya at ascendum.com
Thu Feb 10 07:16:41 GMT 2005

I am using JCIFS for fetching files from intranet shares. For fetching each
file i have to use the user credentials (username,password and domain) who
logs into my portal. Now, the same program which worked properly for some 20
different users gave an error with one particular user.  It says

smbException: invalid user or bad password.

I know this comes when the user credentials are not correct. But, in this
case i am 100% sure that the user has given proper credentials and has been
authenticated against the NT Domain Controller before he opens the file.
Also, he has the necessary permissions to view the file( he was able to open
the file through windows explorer ). Other users of the same domain have
managed to access the files without any problem. As of now, this is the only
special case out of 5 users. But, i don't know if there will more in the
future once the portal goes into production.

I couldn't imagine any reason why this kind of thing can happen. Can someone
say what could be wrong with this?

Thanks,
Chaitanya.