[jcifs] Jcifs in Native mode vs Mixed Mode

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Feb 8 05:15:49 GMT 2005

If someone wants to give it a whirl, it should be possible to hack the
code and make it work with a server running naked transport (no NBT
layer).  The semantics of port 445 sessions vs. 139 are 99.99% identical.

There are some differences in authentication (e.g., you can't send an NT
Domain name since NT Domain names are NetBIOS names and... well... there's
no NetBIOS any more), and there may be a minor difference in the way that
the 4-byte packet header is read (it's a 24-bit length field instead of a
17-bit field with 7 "reserved" bits).

The real differences are in name resolution and access to the "Browse
List".  Those can be bypassed pretty easily, however.

2cents.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org