[jcifs] Domain Controllers

MSDean at beckman.com MSDean at beckman.com
Wed Feb 2 19:37:25 GMT 2005

Thanks Jonathan,

I understand that this will indicate the WINS server to JCIF.

Do you know how to retrieve the domain controller from the WINS server
programatically?

-Mark

                      "Jonathan D
                      Trumbull"                  To:       MSDean at beckman.com
                      <Jonathan.Trumbull@        cc:       jcifs at lists.samba.org,
                      abbott.com>                 jcifs-bounces+jonathan.trumbull=abbott.com at lists.samba.org
                                                 Subject:  Re: [jcifs] Domain Controllers
                      02/02/2005 11:29 AM

Mark,

>>My question is, is it possible to avoid providing hard-coded domain
controllers
(dc) to the logon method?<<

You can also use a WINS server to identify the current domain controller for a
given domain like this:

<init-param>
        <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
        <param-value>10.229.249.50,10.229.248.50</param-value>
</init-param>

On windows, you find your primary and secondary WINS servers using:

c:>ipconfig /all

Not sure what happens when the WINS server changes!  Perhaps there is a way to
poll through ~DHCP.

--Jonathan

   MSDean at beckman.com
   Sent by:                                               To:
   jcifs-bounces+jonathan.trumbull=abbott.com at lis jcifs at lists.samba.org
   ts.samba.org                                           cc:
                                                          Subject:
                                                  [jcifs] Domain Controllers
   02/02/2005 01:18 PM

I am using JCIFS to perform NTLM authentication in a Weblogic environment. I
have created a custom authenticator, and the login method is included below.

My question is, is it possible to avoid providing hard-coded domain controllers
(dc) to the logon method?

I have to deal with many domains, each of which may have several associated
domain controllers. I am trying to find a way to avoid the need to explicitly
provide domain controllers to the login method, since the controllers may not
always be available or are subject to change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

     private boolean login( String userName, String domainName, String
controller, String password ) throws FailedLoginException {
           boolean succeeded = false;
           try {
                 UniAddress dc = UniAddress.getByName(controller);
                 NtlmPasswordAuthentication auth = new
NtlmPasswordAuthentication(domainName + ";" + userName + ":" + password);
                 SmbSession.logon(dc, auth);
                 succeeded = true;
           } catch (SmbException e) {
                 logger.error("Authentication failed.", e);
                 return false;
           } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
                 logger.error("Authentication failed (unknown host).", e);
           }
           logger.info("Authentication succeeded.");
           return succeeded;
     }