[jcifs] Re: NtmlHTTPAuthentication Filter

David King David.King at bluemail.ch
Wed Feb 2 11:52:54 GMT 2005

Michael B Allen <mba2000 <at> ioplex.com> writes:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:50:04 +0100
> Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have long and successfully used JCifs in Version 0.9.6 and just now
> > I wanted to switch to 1.1.7. The problem is, it does not work with my
> > current configuration...
> >
> > I have submitted my filter-configuration in the web.xml file further
> > below, this works perfectly with 0.9.6 and does not work with 1.1.7.
> >
> >     <filter>
> >         <filter-name>NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter</filter-name>
> >         <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
> >         <init-param>
> >           <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
> >           <param-value>143.245.2.201</param-value>
> >         </init-param>
> >         <init-param>
> >           <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
> >           <param-value>OEKB</param-value>
> >         </init-param>
>
> I think what might be happening here is if you have both domainController
> and domain jCIFS will try to use the domain property to lookup DCs. But to
> lookup DCs using jcifs.smb.client.domain you need WINS.
>
> This is kind of an error as it should be a valid combination to use domain
> for credentials without WINS.
>
> Can you specify WINS? Does that work?
>
> Also, if you're using Basic authentication only you do not need the
> domain,username,password for preauthentication credentials. That would also
> solve your problem.
>
> Mike

We have a similar problem, but situation is worst as JCIFS NTLM SSO stops
working at all.
NTLM authentication works fine with version 0.9.4 , but if we try to use
version 0.9.8 or above(including 1.1.7) users can no longer authenticate (same
web.xml, same configuration).

The IE browser receives HTTP/1.1" 401 response and afterwards just waits forever
to continue with progress bar moving on the bottom status line.

Users on a different domain are prompted with NTLM authentication but after
they submit credentials, (even  if password is wrong, they are not prompted
again) , the  same thing happens.

I think the root cause is that JCIFS has hung waiting for response from the
domain controler. I have tried everything with and without WINS, domain
controller only.

Could it be that some default configuration settings have changed after version
0.9.4 and we have to modify the web.xml to make it work?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

David