[jcifs] ERROR_MORE_DATA from NetServerEnum2: NetServerEnum3

Gary Rambo grambo at aventail.com
Mon Mar 15 20:45:27 GMT 2004

NetServerEnum3 turned up in a network trace between an XP client and a W2K or W2K3 PDC and appears to solve the 64K server list limit problem: it is similar to NetServerEnum2 but instead of taking a serverType parameter it takes a server name, the last server in the NetServerEnum2Response.

I wasn't able to find this in the Samba 3 code (although the include/rap.h does define RAP_NetServerEnum3), and I'm not sure how a Samba PDC will respond but I've tested it on several networks against Win2k PDCs with good results.

It can be tested by throttling back the jcifs.smb.client.transaction_buf_size to a small value. This will force Jcifs to use NetServerEnum3 to handle the overflow. The minimum value I've tested with is 576: Jcifs deducts 512 and the result should leave room enough for enumerating one server at a time.

The attached tar.gz file contains the NetServerEnum3.java and NetServerEnum3Response.java files, not quite identical to NetServerEnum3*; one line changes to SmbComTransaction.java and SmbTree.java, and a version of SmbFile.java with a previously noted change at lines 1472ff (removing the workgroup/domain name from the SmbFile constructor) and the code that uses NetServerEnum3 at lines 1495ff. This code determines that the case applies (MORE_DATA from listFiles() on a workgroup), gets the last server from the Enum2 list, prepares a failSafe value to determine that progress is being made, and sends the request. The response parsing is a diminished version of the Enum2Response parsing.

(The changes are made to the 0.8.2 code base.)

The Jcifs layout, especially the SmbComTransaction class, made this easy to implement.

Thanks.

Gary

--
Gary Rambo