[jcifs] Problems with certain clients using NTLM filter

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 12:44:42 GMT 2004

The failing client appears to be set up to use NTLMv2 authentication; there
are two ways to fix this situation:

1) On the affected client, look at the registry value:

      HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel

   it's probably set to 3, 4, or 5.  Set it to 0, 1, or 2.  This setting is
   described in detail at:

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;239869

   Setting it to 0 or 1 will do LM/NTLM (version 1); 2 will just do NTLM.

2) Set the jCIFS property "jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility" to 3.  This will cause
   jCIFS to use LMv2 (which is kind of a "stripped down" NTLMv2).

Either of the above should allow the client to authenticate properly.

Eric