[jcifs] NtlmPasswordAuthentication & domain

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Oct 29 10:56:06 EST 2003

> being a bit Windows illiterate, i'm not really sure if the account i'm
> testing the authentication with is a local account or not. i was
> assuming the account is not local because it can be found in the 'test
> users' container in the directory tree.
>
> testing with a valid domain name + user information the authentication
> succeeds. with a bogus domain name the authentication still goes fine as
> long as user name + password are correct.

Is 'server' a PDC? If so I think it will treat the SAM database as "local"
which by our reasoning will result in success as you have found. I have
also tested the below code and confirmed this behavior; If I run it
against a PDC it succeeds with a bogus domain whereas if I run it against
a workstation where the account is not local to the machine it will fail
with a bogus domain.

What is ultimately the issue Aspa? If this is in regard to general
security I don't believe there is anything to be concerned about. The user
must supply a valid username and passord.

Mike

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are