[jcifs] Implementing a java smb server

Michael Wyraz lists at wyraz.de
Fri Jul 25 19:08:36 EST 2003

Hi!

a searched the list archives for an implementation of a java smb server.
I saw some requests for such a server but no solutions.

So how much work would it be to implement a server that
* is shown in the browse list of a domain and
* can serve files to windows machines and samba clients?

I think there is no need for features like
* beeing a local/domain master
* winpopup
* PCD

My use case of such a server (this might be a common one) is
to implement a "virtual" file system which gives users
a personalized view to files that are stored somwhere (real fs, db, web,
anything else).

I'd like to spend some work in that but i have no experience
with cifs and so i don't know how much work would this be, what parts
of the client could be used and where to start ;-)

I anybody in this list who considered to implement such a server or has
already done some work on this?

Thanks. Michael.