[jcifs] jcifs on J2EE compliant server

Glass, Eric eric.glass at capitalone.com
Thu Dec 12 22:09:17 EST 2002

> > That is, they need to fully unwrap the request to ensure
> that they are
> > dealing with the base request object.
> >
> 	So you make it sound like it is legal to override
> getUserPrinciple. If so then
> 	it's a bug in their server to assume they will get a
> WebPrinciple. Sounds like
> 	jCIFS will just not work with the Sun One server period.

I would consider this correct.  The specification does not explicitly state
that it is permissible to override getUserPrincipal(); neither does it
prohibit this.  It does state:

"In this model, the developer not only has the ability to override existing
methods on the request and response objects, but to provide new API suited
to a particular filtering task to a filter or target web resource down the
chain."

Since no mention is made of methods which are not safe to override, I would
interpret this to imply that any (or all) methods may be overridden.
Authentication filters ARE given as an example filter application within the
spec; in any such filter, overriding getUserPrincipal to provide access to
the authenticated identity would certainly not be considered unusual
behavior.

Eric