[jcifs] Annoying SMB URL question.

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 9 22:09:08 EST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 05:08:54 -0500
"Glass, Eric" <eric.glass at capitalone.com> wrote:

> Just beating a dead horse -- I would think the escaped-backslash syntax
> (i.e., DOMAIN%5Cuser) would be more consistent, given that
>
> a) The DOMAIN\user syntax is most widely used by the MS tools
>
> b) You can already do http://DOMAIN%5Cuser:pass@webhost for NTLM-protected
> content on IIS webservers (not entirely relevant, I know, but maybe
> worthwhile for consistency's sake)

Not even going to discuss these first two arguments.

> c) Selecting ";" simply because it doesn't have to be escaped doesn't really
> buy you anything; to be correct, your applications will still have to be
> able to unescape whatever separator is chosen.  i.e.:

But ';' does not *require* you to use an escape whereas using '\' does
if the URLs are going to travel. You might as well say "lets use '%3b'
as the domain user separator".

> smb://DOMAIN%3Buser:pass@server
>
> is just as valid as:
>
> smb://DOMAIN;user:pass@server
>
> Basically, you still have to be able to do a hex to char conversion to cover
> the possibility that the user simply chose to escape the separator.
>
> Just my two cents.  On another note (out of curiosity), in my environment we
> have two domains (for example, "DOM1" and "DOM2") which I'm assuming are set
> up with some sort of trust relationship; that is, I can log into box
> "server" which is a member of DOM2 using my account "eric" in DOM1.  How
> would that be represented in a URL, where my user credentials are for an
> account in one domain ("DOM1\eric"), but I am accessing a resource on a
> server which is a member of another domain ("DOM2\server")?

I don't know if the domain that this server is a member of differs from
it's workgroup but if there is any semantic difference I don't know
of any case where that would need to be represented with an SMB URL. A
"server that's a member of a domain" is not an addressable resource.

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are