[distcc] A Few Ideas

ibaker at mail.cern.ch ibaker at mail.cern.ch
Fri Apr 24 15:52:49 GMT 2009

Good evening, I would appreciate any feedback on the following.

Our initial patch submission for implementing GSS-API mutual authentication
used an environment variable ($DISTCC_AUTH) and as such was a global
option for all hosts.

We have another version where this is now a per host option along the
lines of lzo or cpp (,gssapi).  This enables a client to use mixed
authenticating/non-authenticating build hosts, and allows for easier
deployment for users as there are fewer environment variables to set up.

We also currently use DNS aliases to identify a build cluster or
sub-cluster and replace its host definition with a host definition for
each of its IP addresses if the host option of ,exp is specified (this is
to avoid a performance cap imposed by the lockfile names and to utilise
the randomisation done by DNS).

These modifications involve extending the host definition structure and
the host option parser, so in this respect they're slightly more
intrusive in terms of code modification.  However, this approach is
consistent with the existing per host comma separated options.

Would this be an acceptable solution, or can anyone foresee any issues or
problems?

Thanks.

Ian