[distcc] distcc zeroconf patch issues

Lennart Poettering mzqvfgpp at 0pointer.de
Thu Aug 4 14:37:12 GMT 2005

On Thu, 04.08.05 11:25, Martin Pool (mbp at sourcefrog.net) wrote:

> On  4 Aug 2005, Lennart Poettering <mzqvfgpp at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>
> > Please don't merge it. HOWL is based on Apple's mDNSResponder code
> > which is licensed under AFPL which caused it to be removed from
> > Debian, since AFPL is considered non-free under the DFSG.
> >
> > When I wrote that patch some time ago I wasn't aware of that
> > problem. Now I am and working on "Avahi", an LGPLed replacementf for
> > the Apple code.
>
> OK.
>
> I did think at the time that AFPL was incompatible, but some people
> (from Apple?) said that it was not.

There are many different opinions on this. Some consider it "free
enough" (the KDE people as an example), many are simply ignorant, some
consider Debian's position stalinistic, and some tend to follow
Debian's argumentation (like me).

One of the many flamewars about this:

http://lists.porchdogsoft.com/pipermail/howl-users/2005-April/000584.html

It's a fact that AFPL code will not be accepted by the Debian project
and the last time I heard Redhat said something similar. Therefore:
better not depend on it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/