[distcc] "make install" after "make -j8 CC=distcc" still compiles entire Linux kernel

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Thu Mar 17 10:25:29 GMT 2005

Hi Junfeng,

> I just installed distcc and run into a problem when compiling linux kernel
> 2.6.11.  I first did a make -j8 CC=distcc.  When it finished, I tried to
> install the kernel using make install.  However, this make install didn't
> work as I expected.  Instead, it triggered a recompilation of the entire
> kernel once again.  Does linux kernel Make file check for which compiler
> it uses to generate the obj files?

It indeed does. Search for .*.cmd files all around the place if you want
to see how the information is stored.

I personally do not use "make install" but instead "make
modules_install", which does NOT trigger a recompilation. I then copy
the kernel and associated files to /boot manually. I wonder why "make
install" and "make modules_install" behave differently WRT
recompilation.

If you want to use "make install" then I would suggest that you try
"make CC=distcc install" which would hopefully prevent recompilation.

--
Jean Delvare