[distcc] ARM Tools / ADS (tcc tccp armcomp) porting

nadim nadim at khemir.net
Sun Feb 20 18:48:22 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 14:02, Uri Shkolnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I successfully modify DistCC to work with ARM Tools’ compilers (on
> Win32/x386 machines). It's still an alpha (if not less), but it works....
looking forward to test that.

> The main obstacle remain the license acquisition (especially when it is
> working with floating licenses)... this slow down the process
> significantly.
There is unfortunately no solutions for this (except a better build system).
We did some test few years ago and we spend an unnatural amount of time
getting licenses. it get much worse when you really are many sharing the
licenses. We modified our build system to allow multiple compiles with the
same command. I don't know if this even possible with distcc. The idea is to
let armcc compile multiple C files with the same command, this needs only one
round trip to the license server. One of the problems is that all the object
files end up in the same output directory, thank you ARM :-(. Nothing that
can't be handled though. another interresting thing about the arm compiler is
that when you ask it to depend C files, you get object files as a side
effect. This meant that we depended our files (when necessary) and never had
to compile them! We got rid of armcc and used gcc as a cross compiler. Not as
good result but still very good and no 10_000$ license no more.

Cheers, Nadim.