[distcc] ARM (ADS) Complier - Help is needed

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sun Jan 30 13:38:50 GMT 2005

Hi,

> (...)
> distcc[1092] (dcc_scan_args) scanning arguments: tcc hello.c
> distcc[1092] (dcc_scan_args) found input file "hello.c"
> distcc[1092] (dcc_scan_args) compiler apparently called not for compile
> (...)
> now....
>
> where do I declare the tcc as a "valid" compiler? (Log: "compiler
> apparently called not for compile")
> what else should I change?

It's not a matter of declaring tcc - as far as I know distcc accepts any
name for the compiler. The problem is that "tcc hello.c" is doing both
compilation and linking. Since gcc can only distribute compilation and
not linking, it will force the job to be local. Try "gcc hello.c" and I
suspect that it won't be any different.

What you would need to do is to separate the compilation and the linking
that way:
  tcc -c hello.c -o hello.o
  tcc hello.o -o hello

If tcc handles -c and -o like gcc does, I'd expect it to work and distcc
should be able to distribute the first command (bot not the second -
this is expected). I think that distcc won't even consider distributing
a job as long as it doesn't catch "-c" (and possibly "-o") on the
command line.

Hope that helps,

--
Jean Delvare