[distcc] Re: Using distcc with a new build system

nadim khemir nadim at khemir.net
Mon Dec 20 20:57:27 GMT 2004

Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 12:42:06PM +0100, nadim wrote:
>> 'colorgcc' happily mixes STDOUT and STDERR. This is a rather obvious
>> 'colorgcc' error if the pre-processed code is output to STDOUT.
>
> Colorgcc should not be doing any coloring if STDOUT is not a terminal.
> When it skips colunnecessary the output, it also avoids combining the
> compiler's STDOUT with STDERR, so you should check into what has gone
> wrong with the tty-detection code in colorgcc.  If you've disabled it to
> get color on a command such as "make 2>&1 | tee outfile", I'd recommend
> turning the tty-detection back on and using the "script" utility to
> capture the colored output.

You are absolutely right, 5 '#'s and it was running smooth. Till I started
using distcc that is :-)

I will try the 'script' utility (what a strange name). But now we have the
build system starting distcc that remotes the call which starts colorgcc
that itself starts gcc. Hmm, not that it take much time to start all these
processes but I wonder if am not going to run colorgcc _after_ distcc/gcc
this will make it unecessary to install colorgcc everywhere as I am
planning to use distccKnoppix and in cygwin.

Cheers, Nadim.