[distcc] Re: Discussion of distcc load balancing ... was re: Multiple people running distcc at once, using one DISTCC_DIR

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Sun Oct 3 16:24:51 GMT 2004

On Oct 2, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Scott Lystig Fritchie wrote:
> To be honest, I don't know why tcpbalance isn't used more often.  It's
> probably a combination of factors.[6]
>
>     * I haven't done much to promote tcpbalance's existance. [sic]

[1] I didn't know about it, but I've only been using distcc for
     a few months.

>     * Building and installing the Erlang VM, and its accompanying s/w
>       packages (stuff like a complete CORBA development environment),
>       is too much of a hassle, too much disk space for the
>       installation (40-50MB), too much time, too steep a learning
>       curve, too verbose documentation (when I bothered to write any
>       documentation at all), ...

[2] I suspect this is the case, for most people.

>     * Not that many people need to solve this particular problem.

[3] Definitely the case for me - I'm using "distcc" in a
     completely heterogenous environment (so far) on 6 identical
     machines (6 SunFire V240's, and 6 dual Xeon Linux boxes).
     If it goes into production use and we decide to dip down
     into our rapidly-dwindling pool of Ultra 5+'s, then I'll
     pay more attention ;-)

[4] There is no #4

You're a sharp guy Scott (we had lunch at Anaheim Usenix once,
in a galaxy far, far away ... ) - why not have a go at figuring
out why "distcc" doesn't work with Sun's compilers next?  ;-)
Then you'd really be a hero  :-)

	- Greg