[distcc] distcc problems...

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Mar 22 01:00:11 GMT 2004

On 21 Mar 2004, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> Martin Pool wrote:

> Sorry, I misread you in my haste.  I didn't notice you actually
> wanted to make the info available across machines.  Unix sockets
> are of course no good there.
>
> >...  If I'm going to change the way the monitor works, I
> >would rather support better cross-machine views.
> >
> >As you say, it is just architecturally impossible on Windows.  Aside
> >from the problems of naming and access control it might be better to
> >use an inet socket.  Even then, naming might be solved by writing the
> >server's address into the DISTCC_DIR.
> >
> >On a network of a few machines I would like the monitor to globally
> >view all the running jobs by all users on all machines.  Other people
> >might want to monitor that too.  That probably implies either a
> >broadcast/multicast setup, or a central daemon that retransmits the
> >notifications.
>
> Because of trust issues, I prefer to avoid broadcast techniques.

It worries me too.  At the very least I wouldn't want it to be on by
default.  Consider compiling on a laptop connected to a cafe wireless
network.

Perhaps monitoring across machines is not a good idea after all.

On the other hand if the monitoring is purely local it might be
simplest just to stick with state files.

> By the way, it occurs to me that a local daemon would also be of some use.
> e.g. it could hold long-lived ssh connections to the compute servers
> (to save on socket startup time),

That would be good.  It's not so much socket startup as crypto
negotiation (DH and so on).

I think this can be done independent of distcc.

It would be nice if someone did that.