[distcc] distcc problems...

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Sun Mar 21 08:48:17 GMT 2004

On 18 Mar 2004, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> >3) The only remaining error is
> >distcc[22547] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Resource
> >temporarily unavailable
> >This error may be as a result of (1)
> >
> >When our network guy returns, I'm going to try and figure out what the
> >real issue is, and see if I can't get the test case to run cleanly.

OK.  We can make the file handling a bit more robust, but you should
probably look into the network problems too.

> >I think that a note in a FAQ needs to be made about the fact that having
> >the DISTCC_DIR local to the box running distcc is a good idea.

Yes.

> IMHO this also means that using files to share state information
> is probably only going to get us so far.  It may be time to think
> of using a daemon to do what has been done with state files in
> DISTCC_DIR so far.  Yeah, this would be harder to use, but for a
> few installations, it might be a worthwhile option.

I don't think it needs to be harder to use, but it will need some more
coding and some design work.

A daemon that knew about the state of all processes would allow you to
centrally monitor all compilations by all users on all machines, which
might be quite nice in some ways.  However, you don't necessarily want
that information to all be public.  How should it know who to publish
the information to?