[distcc] jobserver unavailable...

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Mar 16 23:41:17 GMT 2004

On 16 Mar 2004, TMI-Concept <tmi-concept at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> ++ Now, My last alternative is to go back to the "section 5.6.3
> Communicating Options to a Sub-make." Looks like i finally won't find
> any simple answer to my problem, and even go to a brain deadlock.
>
> So is there any possibility to have a simple and explicit example of
> what make expects in order to run a kernel compilation using distcc ?
> The example string listed in the "man distcc" led (lead?) me to this:
>
> make -j4 CC=distcc bzImage:

I assume you didn't really have a colon at the end?

That invocation looks fine to me.  You don't say what kernel you're
trying to build, but in general the kernel makefiles are OK for -j.

What shell do you use.  What is $SHELL set to?

Does it still fail if you don't set CC=distcc?

I think you must have some environmental problem causing make to fail,
or possibly a make bug.  I think make needs to create a temporary
fifo, and maybe it doesn't have permission to do that.  strace may
help.