[distcc] Bootable distcc node

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Mar 16 19:05:15 GMT 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Daniel Kegel wrote:

> >>No, but I'm putting together a hetrogenous cluster of
> >>Windows, Mac OS X, Linux x86, and Linux x86_64 boxes
> >>all running the same distcc'd compiler.  Why force
> >>people to reboot to Linux if you don't have to
> >>to get them into the compile cluster?
> >>I suspect it'd be easy to add Solaris machines to
> >>the build cluster, too.
> >
> >>The trick is getting them all to run the same toolchain.
> >>I'll post the script I use once it's all working.
> >
> > I'm very interested in packaging the toolchain and crosscompilers so
> > people can deploy all that using RPM packages. It would be nice to only
> > need 1 system for each architecture but still use the whole
> > distcc-cluster.
>
> OK, but note that the RPMs will be useless on the non-linux boxes,
> which are kinda the whole point... it probably wouldn't be too
> hard to build cygwin, fink, and/or solaris packages for this too, which would
> give you the equivalent ease-of-use...

I don't agree that RPM is useless on non-linux boxes. RPM runs on all Unix
boxes and even in cygwin. Even when you're not using RPM as a package
manager, you can still use RPM SPEC files (or source packages) to build
binaries for a specific platform.

I agree with you that it probably isn't the best solution for Windows
though. My interest is more in the general case. (and Red Hat
specifically)

Kind regards,