[distcc] single and dual CPU machines (was Welcome to the "distcc" mailing list)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Oct 8 00:01:00 GMT 2002

On  7 Oct 2002, Ernesto <xtango at netcombbs.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I just installed distcc on a couple of PCs. One Pentium 3 600 and a dual Pentium III 866.
> Now, I want the dual P3 to accept more jobs than the single P3. I've
> read the docs and it says there's no way to do this yet and I was
> wondering....

The best thing for now is just to use

  DISTCC_HOSTS="host1 localhost"

and run make -j4.  The local single CPU machine will have up to two
jobs running at any time, but unless it is really low on memory that's
not a problem.

(Indeed sometimes -j2 is faster on a single CPU machine than -j1,
because compilation can proceed while one job is blocked waiting for
IO.)

In a future release there will be a way to specify per-machine job
limits, but even that will probably default to 2 jobs on single CPU
machines.